Cancel a Business

Welcome to the Montana Business Cancellation Tool

Welcome. This interactive tool will guide you through the process of cancelling your business registration with the Montana Secretary of State’s Office.

Use the arrows on the sides or the green bullets below to navigate through this tool. You may also use the links below to skip ahead.

Skip to FormsSkip to Forms

Skip to Mailing AddressSkip to Mailing Address

Dissolving Your Business Registration

To voluntarily cancel, dissolve, terminate, or withdraw your Montana Business Registration, you must file the required documents with the Secretary of State's Office. Go to next slide »

To cancel your Trademark or Service Mark, you must draft a letter which lists the following:

  • Name of Mark
  • Filing ID# with our office
  • Statement that you wish to cancel the Mark
  • Signed by the registrant or assignee of the current record

There is no fee to cancel a Mark. You may mail the letter to our office or fax it to 406.444.3976.

Step 1: Print and Fill Out Your Form

The form(s) must be filled out in its entirety. Please read each item on the form and follow the instructions.

Domestic Business Forms
(Entities formed in Montana)
Foreign Business Forms
(Entities formed in another jurisdiction and qualified to do business in Montana)
Assumed Business Name Assumed Business Name
Limited Partnership Limited Partnership
Limited Liability Partnership Limited Liability Partnership
Limited Liability Limited Partnership Limited Liability Limited Partnership
Limited Liability Company *Limited Liability Company
Series Limited Liability Company *Series Limited Liability Company
*Profit Corporation *Profit Corporation
Nonprofit Corporation Nonprofit Corporation

*You must include a Dissolution/Withdrawal Certificate from the Montana Department of Revenue with these forms. Obtain Title 15 by paper. Obtain Title 15 online.

Step 1: Continued

Don't forget your Annual Report!

Corporations and Limited Liability Companies that have not filed a current Annual Report, must file an Annual Report along with the dissolution/termination/withdrawal document.

Skip this step if today’s date falls between January 1 – August 31.

Step 2: Mail Form(s) and Fees

Mail your completed form to our office with the appropriate
fee (fees can be found on the upper right part of each form).

Make payment to: Montana Secretary of State
and mail to:

Secretary of State
PO Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620

If you wish to use priority/over-night mail (Fed Ex, UPS, USPS Priority, etc.) use our physical mailing address of:

Secretary of State
1301 East 6th Ave Room 260
Helena MT 59620

Step 3: Obtain Confirmation

Once we have successfully processed your document(s), you will be mailed a confirmation letter.

If your document is rejected for any reason, we will mail you a letter detailing the filing deficiency, along with your original document(s) to correct.

Rejected documents are subject to a reprocessing fee of 50% of the original filing fee.

We're sorry to see you go.

Additional Resources:

Back to the Business Tool KitBack to the Business Tool Kit

Revoking a DissolutionRevoking a Dissolution


Special CircumstancesSpecial Circumstances

Business Services Home PageBusiness Services Home Page

If you have any questions, or wish to leave feedback, please feel free to email us at: