Amend a Business

Welcome to the Montana Business Amendment Tool

This interactive tool will guide you through the process of amending your business registration with the Montana Secretary of State’s Office.

Use the arrows on the sides or the green bullets below to navigate
through this tool. You may also use the links below to skip ahead.

Skip to FormsSkip to Forms

Skip to Mailing AddressSkip to Mailing Address

Amend a Filed Annual ReportAmend a Filed Annual Report

Linda McCulloch, Secretary of State

Amending Your Business Registration

You can change your Montana Business Registration by filing the appropriate documents with the Secretary of State's Office.

Changes can include (but are not limited to):

  • business name change
  • owner/principal change (name and/or address)
  • changes to any of the articles/certificate of authority for Corporations or LLC’s
  • business description
  • registered agent name/address
  • principal office address
  • any other changes that you wish to make in regards to your initial registration

Need to amend only your Annual Report? Skip ahead »

Step 1: Print and Fill Out Forms

The form(s) must be filled out in its entirety. Please read each item on the form and follow the instructions.

Amend a Domestic Montana entity
(formed in Montana)
Amend a Foreign entity
(formed in another jurisdiction and qualified to do business in Montana)
Assumed Business Name (ABN) Assumed Business Name (ABN)
Limited Partnership (LP) Limited Partnership (LP)
Principal Office Address Change (LP, LLC) Principal Office Address Change (LP, LLC, Corp)
Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
Limited Liability Company (LLC) *Limited Liability Company (LLC)
Series LLC *Series LLC
Series LLC Registered Agent Change Series LLC Registered Agent Change
Profit Corporation *Profit Corporation
Nonprofit Corporation *Nonprofit Corporation
Registered Agent Change (name and/or address) Registered Agent Change (name and/or address)

*These forms must attach an original, currently dated (within 6 months) Certificate of Existence/Good Standing from its state of jurisdiction. If you have changed the name of the business, the new name must be listed on the Certificate of Existence/Good Standing.

Step 2: Mail Form(s) and Fees

Please send us two sets of documents if you want to have a stamped copy returned to you.

Mail your completed form to our office with the appropriate
fee (fees can be found on the upper right part of each form).

Make payment to: Montana Secretary of State
and mail to:

Secretary of State
PO Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620

If you wish to use priority/over-night mail (Fed Ex, UPS, USPS Priority, etc.) use our physical mailing address of:

Secretary of State
1301 East 6th Ave Room 260
Helena MT 59620

Step 3: Obtain Confirmation

Once we have successfully processed your document(s), you will be mailed a confirmation letter.

If your document is rejected for any reason, we will mail you a letter detailing the filing deficiency, along with your original document(s) to correct.

Rejected documents are subject to a reprocessing fee of 50% of the original filing fee.

Amending Your Annual Report

A Corporation or Limited Liability Company may amend a filed Annual Report.

Changes can be made on the Annual Report filed in the current year only.

Amended Annual Reports must be filed by paper, and re-submitted with a $20.00 filing fee. Access form.

We wish you the best in your business endeavors!

We wish you success on your business endeavor and encourage you to take full advantage of the tools and resources available on our website.

Back to the Business Tool KitBack to the Business Tool Kit

Business Services Home PageBusiness Services Home Page

Secretary of State Home PageSecretary of State Home Page

Subscribe to our Quarterly Newsletter.

If you have any questions, or wish to leave feedback, please feel
free to email us at:

Linda McCulloch, Secretary of State