Elections and Government Services Administrative Rules of Montana Business Services Notary and Certification Records and Information Management

The Federal Food Security Act provides buyers of farm products, commission merchants and selling agents the opportunity to register with the Secretary of State's Office for a listing of security interests in specific farm products such as cattle, horses, hogs, wheat, barley, hay, etc.  Failure of the buyer to register with our office makes the buyer liable for payment of the security interest.  Buyers who register will be deemed to be registered only as to those portions on the master list for which they registered.  A registered buyer will receive clear title protection when purchasing farm products for the products in which they registered. 

To register with the Secretary of State's office the buyer must complete the online registration form available through the SIMS subscription service or by completing the Farm Bill Registration form to receive the Master List on paper. Montana does not charge a fee for a buyer to register. Once registered, the buyer will receive daily updates to the online Farm Bill Master List or the “paper” Master List will be mailed by the 20th of each month the buyer registered to receive the Master List.

The fees for the Master List are as follows: 

  • Online — $20.00
  • Paper Output — $20.00 additional costs apply if pages exceed 50

The Farm Bill Master List runs on the 15th of every month.  The Farm Bill Master List is distributed to registered buyers receiving paper no later than the 20th of each month. 

Registered buyers must refer to the Farm Bill Master List before purchasing farm products to determine if a security interests exists.  If a security interests exists against the specific farm product being sold then the buyer is responsible for writing the check in the seller's name and the lender who holds the security interest. 

Lenders must use the Effective Financing Statement form that complies with the requirements under the Federal Food Security Act when filing “farm product” related lien notices with the Secretary of State’s Office if they want their lien to appear on the Farm Bill Master List.