It is the responsibility of the notary to obtain and keep an official seal upon receiving a new or subsequent commission. The State does not provide the seal. They may be purchased from most stationery, stamp, or office supply stores. It is the notary’s responsibility to assure that the stamp is correct and complies with the requirements described below. Do not expect that the retailer or manufacturer knows the requirements. Provide this page to the vendor if there are any questions.
The Secretary of State has compiled a list of Recommended Vendors who have agreed to provide only the prescribed types of stamps to Montana notaries.
As of October 1, 2013, all Montana notaries are required to have an ink stamp unit, rectangular in shape and approximately 1” x 2 ½” in size, that contains a seal (as described below) and the additional statutorily mandated information: the notary’s printed name; the title, “Notary Public for the State of Montana”; the words, “Residing at” with the name of the city or town where the notary lives; and the notary’s commission expiration date, shown as Month/Day/Four Digit Year. The stamp may be either blue or black ink only.
The following is an illustration of the combination seal/stamp unit that is now mandated for Montana notaries:
- All information as shown above must be included. The commission expiration date must be complete. It is not acceptable to “fill in” the year.
- If any of the information contained in the seal/stamp changes during the notary’s term of office, the stamp must be replaced. Handwritten corrections are not allowed.
- The rectangular border is a REQUIRED part of the stamp.
- Notaries will have to purchase a new stamp for each term of office.
- When you use this seal/stamp, you do not have to enter this information again by hand on a notarial block.
*Vendors on this list are recommended, but are not required. It is up to the notary to ensure his or her stamp complies with the prescribed format above.
The Rubber Stamp Shop
Notary Public Underwriters
Notary Law Institute
Gull Printing & Signs
National Notary Association
Missoula’s Office City
American Society of Notaries
Successful Signs & Awards
Western Awards & Engraving Co.
The Helena Stamp Works
Don’t see your business listed here? Become a Recommended Vendor of notary stamps.